M&M - Dr. Reyner
• Consider Infective Endocarditis in patients with multi-system organ failure and an acute embolic event
• High risk groups for developing IE: prosthetic valves, indwelling lines, HD, IV drug users, CHD
• Septic Emboli primarily involve the CNS (65%)
Immunosuppression and Sepsis
• Patients undergoing chemotherapy typically reach their ANC nadir between 7-12d
• Patients with chemotherapy induced neutropenia are at highest risk for bacterial translocation in the gut secondary to cytotoxicity to GI flora
• Sepsis management is time critical!
• Abx within 1 hour has been shown to improve mortality!
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.