Staph Aureus Infections
- Hospital acquired infections relatively stable over the past 5 years
- Community acquired infections on the rise
- One ED visit increases risk 4-fold - Protect your patients!
- Patients on hemodialysis have a 50-180 fold increased risk for developing infective endocarditis
… be wary the vague presentation of endocarditis!
- Protect without pressure!
- Prevent vomiting/valsalva
- Don’t forget your tetanus
- Avoid ultrasound (just don't tell Dr. Tayal)
- Potassium is not the only electrolyte that causes rhythm disturbances
- When facing new EKG changes, consider magnesium and calcium