Immune System is the Bouncer
- We know that there are bad microbes and good microbes.
- It is now believed that the healthy Immune System acts much like a Bouncer at a Bar... allowing the good microbes in and keeping the bad microbes out.
Illnesses associated with alterations in indigenous microbes
- When "Bouncers go bad," illness like Obesity, IBD, Cdiff, asthma, or MRSA occur
- Giving antibx to animals make them gain weight
- Obese people have less bacteroides
- Markedly different gut flora in obese and skinny people
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Increased correlation with antibiotic use - unclear causation
- Changes in microbiota related to MRSA status
- Fecal transplants for recurrent C. difficile
- Stool administered via NG tubes have a high success rate
*Theoretically antibiotics in the last 70 yrs have altered normal human microbes*