1. Remember esophageal etiologies as a cause of life threatening chest pain.
2. Esophageal perforation is rare, deadly, and fast acting. Delay in diagnosis can cause doubling of mortality.
3. Know best imagning studies available at facility, and have low threshold for surgical consultation.
4. Quick recognization and initation of medical management is key:
NPO, PPI, and antibiotics (ie zosyn) in all cases.
5. Be familiar with the latest management of esophageal perforation: medical
management vs surgical management vs stent placement.
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.