- A condition in which increased pressure within a limited space leads to compromise to associated structures.
Decreased compartment size (ie, tight casting)
Increased compartment contents (ie, bleeding, edema)
How much time do you have:
- 3-4 hrs you can still have reversible changes.
- 6-8 hours you can have irreversible damage.
- Pain out of porpotion
- Tense compartment
- Pain with passive stretch - but this is more then simply moving the toe... really needs to flex/extend the ankle to see if the compartments of the LE are involved.
- Parasthesia, Pulseless and Pallor are late signs!!
Check Compartment Pressures
- Clinical dx but if unsure check compartment pressures- all 4 compartments
- Suspect Compartment Syndrome, with equivocal or unreliable exam.
- If it is a clear clinical picture, no need to take pressures.
See PedEM Morsel for more.
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.