Case Conference - Dr. Lawson
1. Leukemia is the most common form of childhood cancer (30% of all pediatric malignancies)
2. Presenting symptoms for acute leukemia are typically non-specific and the WBC is usually normal! Have a high degree of suspicion.
3. Red flags include: unexplained fever, multiple cytopenias, hepatosplenomegaly, petechiae/purples, easy bleeding, lymphadenopathy.
4. Risk factors for medical error in the ED: Night shift, handoff, high volume times with many interruptions, "difficult" patient
5. Recall specific cognitive error types:
A. Premature closure
B. Confirmation bias
C. Order effect
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.