- broad spectrum of disease, high level of suspicion is essential
- myocarditis can mimic STEMI and Wellens syndrome among others
- EKG, echo, and cardiac enzymes cannot rule in/out the diagnosis
- No hesitation to consult Peds Cards
- no discrimination, occurs in all people groups
- history, exam, and physical findings may raise suspicion for abuse.
- must place child in gown.
- make sure story matches up... loose ends must be tied
Marfan and PTX:
- Must be personally knowledgeable about equipment associated with procedures (ie: suction device for chest tubes)
- Pigtail catheters equivalent to thoracostomy tubes for uncomplicated PTX with decreased pain - http://pedemmorsels.com/pigtail-catheter/