1. Read with a specific focused question in mind.
2. Start by looking at the scientific abstract: Does the objective align with your question? Did the study answer its stated question?
3. Use the figures and tables of the results to get the “story”.
4. Use the discussion to glean the answer to the study question, how these results fit in the context of other work, the limitations of the study and conclusions.
5. The methods section provides a great starting template for future studies and allows for more in-depth analysis of the study. It’s not an essential read every single time.