1. Infectious disease still is a large contributor to morbidity and mortality in developing countries, but cancers and heart disease are on the rise.
2. In a resource challenged environment, efforts should focus on empiric treatment when confirmatory diagnostic testing is unavailable.
3. In addition to malaria, consider dengue fever in your differential for fever in the returned traveler. Management is supportive care.
4. Mortality remains high for pediatric congenital heart disease in a large portion of the world where surgical intervention is unavailable.
5. Always confirm the location of a newly-diagnosed pregnancy and be aware of the complications and risks involved in post-partum ABDOMINAL pregnancy.