First Time Flank Pain
10-30% of patients, when CT scan obtained, had an alternative diagnosis (even with good pre-test probability for kidney stone)
- 10-15% - GYN conditions
- 9% - Pyelo
- 5% - Appendicitis
- Diverticulitis, Pancreatitis, Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Vascular Disease
- Urinalysis cannot be used as the solitary diagnostic tool for Kidney Stones.
- It is neither sensitive nor specific enough to rule it in or rule it out.
- In 43% of patients diagnosed with AAA, hematuria was present!!
Repeat Renal Stones
- 50% of Kidney Stones will recur within 5 yrs
- This had lead to numerous patients having multiple CT Scans (naturally, this is a potential problem)
- Of patients who had a history of kidney stones who received CT to work up recurrent kidney stone, 90% did not have change in their management.