ACEP 2013 Guidelines
1. Take repeat blood pressures during your patient’s stay in the ED
2. Fast track patients with severely elevated blood pressures (>180/110) to a PCP
3. Start a patient on a maintenance oral antihypertensive if BP severely elevated
a. BUT REMEMBER!
i. Get a BMP
ii.Think about their comorbidities
1. HARMFUL! Do NOT give acute antihypertensives (i.e. clonidine, IV drugs) to asymptomatic patients.
2. Send home patient’s WITHOUT any follow up
Limitations of ACEP 2013 Guidelines: Do NOT apply these guidelines to patients who have symptoms that may be indicative of a hypertensive emergency, pregnant patients, or patients with end stage renal disease.