Kids are Different
- Larger heads, tongues, smaller nostrils
- Cricoid ring determines size of ET tube
- Bradycardia is a BAD SIGN.
Signs of Increased Respiratory Effort
- Assumed position
- Bobbing head
- If kids are pulling off their mask, they might need to be intubated.
- sniffing position, sometimes achieved without any padding
- jaw thrust is preferred to chin tilt
- always use an oral airway, measure from angle of mouth to angle of jaw
DOPE for ETT problems
- Check ETCO2 waveform
Not recognizing compromise early!
Not thinking to clean out the nose!
Not thinking in terms of axis alignment!